Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fun In Atlanta

Today was a lazy day for most of the morning and early afternoon. It was kind of nice just being lazy. Later in the afternoon Taylor and I decided to head out to see if we could pick up a few caches in Atlanta. And so our journey began...

We started off with Shopping Shortcut (The Dwarf Tunnel). It was a new cache that was put out today. We were not FTF, but for our first find of the day it was a pretty easy park and grab. It was really close to my sisters, so we didn't have far to go to pick up our first find of the day.

Next we decided to take on Kong Goes to Paris. We spend quite a bit of time looking for this one. I checked the spot when we got there that the cache was hidden in, but apparently not with enough force. So as we almost gave up Taylor tried that spot again and there it was! I took a picture of Taylor at this location. I will have to post the photos when we get back home. I enjoyed our trip to Paris on Ponce de Leon.

SBW: The Fallen Croissant is a series of 9 "StarbucksWars" caches named after Star Wars episodes. This was Episode VII in the series. It was a pretty easy find although I initially parked in the dry cleaning lot next door until I saw the sign that said not to park there as he would have us towed. So I went back and moved the car to the road and walked over. Taylor was closing in on the cache by the time I made it. We signed the log for our first "StarbucksWars" cache find and moved along to the next.

Our next cache, Moe Cache 8, was very close to this one. So we made our way and parked in the parking lot. We began to walk around the building and wound up running into a homeless man who had set up camp under the back porch of this establishment. He had a tool bag and told us he was ready to work... he had his tools. We just shook our head and kept moving. We followed the GPS which led us right to the location. Very clever hiding spot! And we continued around the building to get back to the car instead of back tracking back to the homeless gentleman.

For the next cache, H R Pipesnstuff, we traveled around the area several times trying to locate parking. Every where you looked the signs were all no parking. So I stayed in the car and Taylor hiked off into the park to locate the cache. It didn't take her too long to find it. She signed and made her way back pretty quickly. She did end up with some GeoStripes when she reached in for the cache. Another found... so far the day was going well.

On to the Caching  Inn TB Bed and Breakfast. I had never been to the Carter Center so it was nice to find our way there. We didn't go inside but I wouldn't mind coming back one day to see it. Instead we parked and began our hunt. I managed to take a slide onto the ground, busted my butt! We managed to locate this cache and took the Mount Ranier trackable. We will find a new home for this one soon. This was a nice hide in a great location and we laugh so much when someone face plants.

Homemade Ice Pops from the King of Pops is where we were headed next. I think we had already passed him about half a dozen times. And this time our hunt led us right to him. I had no cash so had to go in and use the ATM, buy a small candy so we had some change and then we headed over to the King himself. I gave Taylor some money and tried to search the area without being too obvious. The King told me I was warm and I had already spotted what I thought to be the nifty hiding spot. I reached down and sure enough I had found it. Very nice hiding spot and we really enjoyed the pops. Taylor had a pineapple and cilantro and I had a strawberries and cream. He really stays busy too; every time we passed him by he had more people showing up to purchase his bars. And he was very nice too! He knew exactly why we were there.

As we ate our pops we made our way to our final destination of the day, I Am The Way Into The City of Woes. We had a hard time finding a spot to park for this cache and ended up back at the Paris on Ponce de Leon parking spot that we had stopped at before. We had a bit of walk on the BeltWay, but we made our way there and began our search. Taylor located this one in a spot where we had both looked. Another great find and our final cache in Atlanta. Tomorrow we will head north to Marietta and out of the city.

I decided to call my 11 year old son, Michael to see if he wanted to go with us tomorrow. So tomorrow we will head out some time in the morning, pick up Michael, get our stuff home and then head out for some local geocaching in the rental car before I have to return it. We started our geocaching experience on our travels this week so we have not even begun to find our local caches. I'm excited to get Michael into it and I think he will really enjoy himself. The only one left after that is Bailey. She will be playing with friends tomorrow at her father's house so we will bring her into it later on.

Taylor and I have also talked about finding some locations to hide some geocaches. We will be keeping our eyes out for some nice local areas that we think will make good caches. We already have one spot in mind and have to go speak to the owner of the shop to get permission. We will let you know what happens! Now its time to say goodnight. It has been a fun filled week with Taylor and the start of a grand hobby. We have had so much fun and look forward to many fun filled days ahead.

Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment